Thursday 1 May 2014

Soccer Fans: How Do You Show Your Support & Loyalty?

They don't make them like they used to!

Granted, I do prefer Jürgen's boys and I am honest enough to admit that I find him rather magnetic resulting in my cheering for the black & Gold....Borussia Dortmund. But, should they not be playing I will of course root for the red & white of Bayern Munich. Their coach is also so, oh la la!

Sep, that hunk, must surely be responsible for a lot of men wearing suits again? Oh and sporting a shaved head along with a six pack. Remember how in the olden days a lot of the coaches wore the Adidas sweats, chewed gum and had a beer belly to boot. Adidas sweats before they became trendy by the way... No pin - ups there.

The match on Tuesday night was momentous, important and obviously not to everyone's liking. Someone has to win and someone has to lose. That the losing team was Bayern Munich was to put it mildly not so nice. Bob at one stage got so het up, he started shouting more than usual at the screen.

" They can't hear you Bob, but our neighbour surely can ".

Bayern has had a fantastic few years and were winning more often than not. Personally, I found the match a bit more interesting to watch. The underdog and so forth. Till the last ten minutes I could picture the miracle of 5 goals in a row. Seriously, I saw ( alas in my mind only ) Bayern shooting them. After a while I realized my mistaken optimism. Bob had tried to tell me numerous times of the impossibility of 5 let alone 1 goal, but it could have happened.

Watching the match on TV ( and even that is a treat because let me tell you that they don't show the away matches ) I could not believe my eyes when after half time, a lot of the Bayern fans started to leave. Jeez-a-lou that made me cross. How rude and arrogant. Hey you guys, being a fan means supporting your team in the good and bad times.
There is my saintly Bob ( a.k.a. Schatzi ) still supporting West Ham United after all these years....enough said.

Have we as a society become so one sided & shallow that only winning counts? I find that rather sad. Walking out on this match ( or switching over the channel before the end ) has made a lot of fans miss out on seeing their team try valiantly to score goals. They missed out on being there when their team needed them. The players must have noticed the exodus of fans during the match and that surely felt like the opposing team scored another few goals.

P/S: Bayern, I cheered for you until the last whistle was blown and unless you play against Borussia Dortmund, I will cheer for you again!

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment