Saturday 17 May 2014

Blonde, Eh, Biggi Blonde!

Naturally blonde indeed.

Those of you who know me, also know that I worked in the Hairdressing industry for a long time. One of the givens of working in a Salon is that your hair will often be different. Different because a new colour had to be tried out on anything but a customer, or an apprentice needed to be let loose for the first time. Sacrificial lamb and so forth...

Bob, a.k.a. Schatzi only realized a few years into our relationship, that my hair was not naturally this blonde. Gosh, I used to come home with very blonde streaks and much shorter hair without him noticing. Men, that is a big NO - NO! It doesn't matter how good or bad it looks, you need to notice when we have our hair done. ( Isn't that right, Harry? )

Over the years I have lost count on the number of ladies who mentioned that their husbands didn't notice a fresh hairdo. Boyfriends somehow were a bit better at it. Maybe because they weren't sure about our affections? Sometimes I wondered if I shouldn't start a secret SMS service to the husbands. You know, such as:

" Your wife had her hair done today. Please take note and mention the lighter shade of blonde. "

Schatzi came to my work one day and noticed me sitting with a million foils in my hair. Oh, the game was up and he knew that my hair didn't grow in a two tone colouring. To be honest, I found his hair - innocence rather cute. This reminds me of my grandparents. My grandmother always had a rich & dark brown hair colour all her life. Of course in her later years it was helped along by her hairdresser. My grandfather didn't know and kept on boasting how his wife didn't have any grey hair. Even having had eight children....Bless him, he was so proud of this fact.

Fast forward to now, and I still have my colour enhanced ( of course now it should be called covered because of those pesky grey strands ). Instead of having it done in a Salon, I have it done in a kitchen. My Mum's kitchen to be precise and by my Mum. Before you start to worry you need to know that my parents are the best hairstylists under the sun and loads of customers back in South Africa would swap places with me asap.

Yesterday, I had my colour done and my Mum single handed did a full head of foils on me in under 30 min flat. The kitchen stove was burning as it was cold, Radio Burgenland was in the background and I was sitting next to the kitchen table. Cozy. Nice. Fantastic actually. The warmth of the oven sped up the colour processing and before I knew it, I had my hair rinsed in the bathroom sink and cut too. All without seeing a mirror, I might add. Any woman knows how scary it is to sit in a hairdressers chair without a mirror to see every move of the scissors or paintbrush!

Bob had to fetch me. The weather was too foul to walk home. You should have seen my Schatzi. He was so pleased with himself because he knew now that I had my hair done.

" Boo, your hair looks great. "

Oh, I just love our live here in Burgenland.

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment