Tuesday 6 May 2014

A Daily Visit From The Neighbourhood Freeloader!

No wonder we go through so much food...

You know, I couldn't believe my eyes. Who comes slinking around the corner of our gate, cool as a cucumber looking as if butter wouldn't melt in his mouth? Oh, it was Chekov ( he has black and white checks ), the neighbourhood tomcat, or should I say Lothario . Yes, he who puts on a concert to burst your eardrums when he is fighting over what I took to be our cat Tigger. Turns out he might have been fighting over her food...

Those set time schedules that I have been keeping for Tigger's feeding time will have to change. How predictable am I when even Chekov knows when to slink around for extras. I know for a fact that his ' parents ' feed him big time. Yet, maybe our brand tastes a tad bit nicer or more a case of fighting off Tigger for a portion of her grub.

" Bob, I think we should ask for cat-a-money from your friend. "
naturally I was teasing Bob but he was horr-i-fied to the extreme, imagining his wife knocking on his friends door and asking for cat-a-money!!! Ha, Ha, Ha.

For a while I have been putting extra portion on Tigger's plate, because she is looking a bit thinner than normal. How could I have known that she had to share? She is such a good little cat. Not once did I hear an angry hiss from her. No, she is a lady and just steps aside and watches from the sidelines.

Even yesterday while I did some work in our Summer - kitchen ( oh no, it's not what you think, but a ramshackle side building that we need to fix up ) she watched from a safe distance yet always made sure she could see me. Or was it a case of me seeing her and feeding her. Oh, Bob and I love that little thing and unbeknownst to each other, we try and win favour by putting in various treats while the other isn't looking! Pathetic, aren't we?

But, I mustn't be too harsh on Chekov. Bob has heard that both Tigger & Chekov were born on our property when the previous owner was still alive. Once he passed away, they had to fend for themselves. Chekov simply moved a few houses down and Tigger stayed put. Somehow I seem to remember another neighbour telling me that over Winter he had always put out food for the feral cats. Bless him.

Tigger must be quite an age now. A grand old lady. I would like to think that she can live a nice retirement lifestyle here on our property. Meal times will have to be worked on...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment