Monday 24 March 2014

Re-discovering Lendl's Backstube / Bakery By Chance.

Sunday morning excursions and meandering.

My Mum and I were out driving early yesterday. In fact we were coming back from Güssing. In a way, I suppose early is a relative term but here in the country 10 am on a Sunday is considered a tad to early to be careering around. That is unless you are on your way to Church. On the whole I think it might not be such a bad idea to use Sundays to relax and recharge.

Anyway, being up that early put visions of procuring a nice piece of cake into my mind. Where on earth do they come from...!! On our way home, I thought it might be fun to stop at Cafe Crustulum in Eberau but alas remembered in time that they only open in the afternoon on Sundays. Perhaps they should reconsider that option during the season, as they have the most picturesque and scenic deck upon which to breakfast, have coffee & cake or just contemplate the pure enjoyment of their scrumptious ice cream creations.

Then my Mum remembered Lendl's Backstube in Bildein. It was on the way ( taking a back road ) and we almost did a WooHoo, when we saw that they were open. In fact, we were there the minute they did at 10 am. They might have thought of us as cake addicts getting another sugar fix. I don't mind, because I love cakes.

We had been to Lendl's a few times before getting some well deserved ice cream on a sweltering Summers day or a hot cup of coffee when Autumn is on approach. They had the usual cake selections plus a few pieces that I had never seen in any of the other shops. Good, good, good. Between us we bought four pieces which might have been in connection with our eyes being bigger than our stomachs.

When we got to sample the cakes at home, we were pleasantly surprised. They were delectable, delicious and oh so moreish. To be honest, if it didn't mean driving 15 km there I may have gone back for some more. That is the one advantage of living in a big city, you can pop around to your bakeries at will...

Lendl's is well established in Bildein, which is another fabulous Burgenland village not far from us. During August, this village hosts a Music festival of note. It is a three day affair with national and international bands performing and fans can camp in the area. It could be likened to a mini Woodstock or a Splashy Fen...This one in Bildein is called Picture On.

Now I have another sight - seeing place up my sleeve when friends and family come to visit. Europe and of course, Austria are pictured in most minds as a place where it is the done thing to sit and have Coffee & Cake. Maybe that is why I am so fond of frequenting the local coffee shops?

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment