Monday 4 November 2013

Yippee, My Knitting Bug Has Finally Woken Up Again.

Those happenstance knitting hiatuses can be rather daunting for a serious knitter!

It might have been the colder weather, Bob's ensuing trip to much colder climes ( Denmark to see the family in December ) or maybe my fingers just needed to have a thread running over them. Yes, the bug has surfaced in tact after its rather lengthy dormancy.

In this past year I had cast a quick eye over wool displayed, but had no urge to place it into my shopping basket. To anyone who has been bitten by the knitting adventure, that can be quite daunting. Are there any other knitters out there who tend to have those lengthy hiatuses or am I the only one?

Bob voiced his desire for a Beanie. A handmade Beanie. To be more precise, he wanted me to make him one. Fair enough, a wife knows when she has to obey...Secretly, I was pleased as punch at the prospect. A gentle way to ease back into the knitting circle. Well, there was one major hurdle to get over.

Bob is sort of picky when it comes to colours. Like anyone else, he has his own taste and sticks with it. It didn't take me long after meeting him, to find that out. Going clothes shopping with Bob was soon dropped after our first year together.

Who knew that men could be so fastidious. Well, his Mom has endured lots of lengthy angry teenage clothes-shopping sessions with Bob:
" Mom, you can't make me wear that. This is stuff that Dad would wear! " and she has long ago passed the baton back to Bob. Easier to give him money.

Bob has set his heart on a blue Beanie. At the local wool shop / haberdashery he decided to wait in the car ( no doubt drumming his fingers impatiently on the steering wheel and flirting with the hooter ). There wasn't a big selection and as fussy as Bob is with colours, so I am fussy about the quality of wool.

Knitting with inferior quality feels dreadful on the hands. Managing to whittle down the selection, I wisely called in Bob and sure enough, he chose a wool, that I hadn't even considered. That could have almost become a Beanie for someone else...!

Sunday was the perfect day to get started and I am so glad I did. Knitting is one of those
" in the moment "
activities and I can only recommend it.

Biggi

Attempt 1 of Bob's Beanie.

Amazon.com:ArtBin Yarn Drum 12-inches round by 12-3/4-inches high, Periwinkle
Amazon.de/at:KnitPro Symfonie Design-Holz Rundstricknadel 10,0 mm 100 cm Stricknadel Lana Grossa
Amazon.uk:Knitted Beanies (Twenty to Make)

No comments:

Post a Comment