Friday 8 November 2013

A French Connection Worthy Of Addiction.

Europe offers this magnificent smorgasbord of crime fiction.

Even though I now live in the heart of Europe, I haven't had the pleasure of visiting France. It won't be long though, as I cannot wait to realize my vision of having a picnic on the side of the road with a bottle of French red side by side with a fresh crispy baguette that's covered with a chunk of farm butter & full fat Camembert. Oh and of course with Schatzi next to me...

Last week, while at the library in Oberwart, I picked up a crime novel purely because I liked the name. It conveyed mystery, exactness and strength all at once. Up till then, I hadn't heard from this author.

But what an adventure from the word go. The first page threw out the line, the second page the hook and from there on I was sunk in this story. A story set in Paris.

The author has painted each scene with brushstrokes of words, that in my mind I had followed those and created the stage set to envelop the characters. Gosh, I could almost picture an ashtray with a smoldering Gauloise cigarette dangling precariously in the groove.

All passionate readers live for that moment when they stumble across one of those book. One, that lets us stand on the sideline of every action yet feel a part of it. This book by Fred Vargas is one of those finds for me. Heck, I could even taste the food described in this novel.

Fred Vargas.........what an author, what a novel!

Amazon.com: Fred Vargas
Amazon.de/at: Fred Vargas
Amazon.uk: Fred Vargas

The best surprise of all is that he is really a she. If you intend to pick up a book, try Fred Vargas's!

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment