Thursday 5 September 2013

Have You " Given ", Just Because...

Giving feels better than receiving.

When was the last time that you gave something to a friend, family or stranger just because you could and wanted to? Everyone gives at Birthdays, Christmas or Weddings, but true giving is more an ad hoc affair. A giving of the heart and when it might be needed.

Bob and I have been on the receiving end lately. It was a " just because " giving, but let me tell you, it meant the world to us and we will never forget it. Family is what makes life special, interesting and wonderful. They are always there when you need them.

Yesterday, our yard was a hive of activity. A villager came around to collect our peaches. He uses them to make his Schnapps. At almost the same time, our neighbour came over for a chat. Clearly our place is an Happening One...

Being in our " making jam " phase and having a stockpile of them, I thought I would give both of them a jar. Now, just remember, that these men grew up here and more than likely have eaten home made jam from year dot. That made me hesitate a bit, wondering if they would want or appreciate a jar.

Almost apologetically, I gave the first jar to our neighbour. Well can you believe it, his face lit up like a Christmas tree and he was pleased as punch and made me feel as though I had given him a treasure. Jeez-a-lou, that felt good!

A few minutes later I gave jar #2 to the " peach-picker " and bachelor to boot. Nowadays, when you picture bachelors, it somehow involves ready made meals or take away's. Again, I wondered what he would think of my little gift. Well, his face also lit up with pleasure and he when he thanked, it was heartfelt. Wow, all this from a jar of jam!

After they had both left, I was almost walking on cloud nine because I felt so good. Making someone else's day is indescribable and just oh so special...

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment