Tuesday 14 May 2013

Max Raabe And The Great Gatsby.

My taste in music, is it the new " Alternative " ?

A while ago I discovered the fabulous Max Raabe. His songs just resonated with me and there and then I wrote a blog post. My husband Bob, a true " Alternative " music lover, was hoping his friends wouldn't see it.

Bob was wearing T-shirts over long-sleeved shirts way back before all and sundry wore it. He loves bands like " Pixies and Nick Cave.....". Oh yes, opposites attract and all that.( Don't tell anyone, but I've seen Bob tap his foot along to the beat of my music ! )

But should't I be called the " Alternative ", as my music tastes are not the norm. Max Raabe, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Louis Prima to name but a few. Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the 70's music and will sing along to Pop Songs, just like everyone else. When you think about it, Bob's music is now almost main stream, in fact it could be called rather normal ( boring ) ?

Can you imagine the great one liners that I could use : " Hi, what type of music do you like ? "
" Oh, I am way into that " Alternative " stuff..." or " I go to clubs " ( they don't know I am talking about original big band clubs ) ...

The new " Great Gatsby " movie has got the world all atwitter. People are falling in love with the elegance and fun of that era. The roaring twenties, a time where style, class and manners were everything. Imagine a time, when men didn't use foul language in front of women ? ( Men, just to take the wind out of your sails....also a time where women didn't swear in front of men ! )

A time where the merest hint of a flash of an elegantly shod ankle had a man's heart aflutter ? Bare midriffs were nowhere to be seen. Women's dresses kept our assets hidden and therefore a challenge to be discovered. A woman's curves were revered.

I wonder whether our more bereft style of clothing has got us into this quest for being skinny ? If you could hide all the bits you don't like, there wouldn't be that constant need for food denial... Just a thought !

Our world is so open and out there, that we all miss that elusive mystique. Showing all ( thoughts or body ) is not that interesting, or am I wrong and it is ?

Max Raabe makes it possible for us to experience the old world charm in our world. He at times mixes, dare I say jazzes it up, but overall just listening to his songs will transport you back to an era, when the world seemed fine...

Biggi

Amazon.com:The Great Gatsby

No comments:

Post a Comment