Friday 1 March 2013

Wars....Why ?

Shouldn't we have learned by now ?

While still in primary school I remember having to watch documentaries of the atrocities of the Second World War. It was part of the curriculum and I think it was to make sure that the World would never engage in one again. Very hectic stuff for a young girl to see and it is imprinted indelibly on my mind.

Throughout my life I have seen documentaries of the awful and horrific acts done during wars. It is almost as if the participants think they can do whatever they want and get away with it. What people did and still do to each other is just evil because there can really be no other
explanation for it !

When I saw these black and white documentaries, I realized that a lot of the World didn't know exactly what was going on. It was the time before TV, Internet or even a phone in every household. Naively, I thought that might have been one reason it took so long to stop the atrocities...

Well, maybe not. We all know that there is another War ( civil ) going on right now. In fact it just turned two and seems to be heading into the third. Daily, graphic pictures and videos of it are shown on the News or online, yet ...it's still going on.

Have we somehow become immune to the scenes of war ? What does it say about us, when one celebrity killing, caused more people to take umbrage or even notice for a whole week, then they have done of the war going on, where so many are killed daily ?

Biggi

No comments:

Post a Comment