Thursday 3 January 2013

Dealing With Early & Dark Winter Evenings .

Is there a better way ?

I suppose this is more useful to the Northern hemishpere. Back in South Africa, Winter lasted only about three months and it wasn't so noticeable then.

In a way I like these early winter evenings. You know, when it gets dark already at 4.30 pm. It sets a cozy background to our little domestic routine. Somehow, the rooms always have more warmth
( to me at least ) when it is dark outside and the lights are on. The colours of everything come more to the fore.

Of course it does kind of get your internal watch of kilter. Usually it is a case of time running away with you, but in Winter it is just the opposite. It tends to stand still ! I wonder how the people further north feel ?

Suppers that we used to eat at about 8.00 pm suddenly get eaten at 6.00 pm. Strangely enough, it feels like 8.00 pm though. For some reason you also get tired earlier. At times we say," I can't stay awake any longer. It's late and I am off to bed. "...only to realize that it is 8.30 pm !

It must be a " piece of cake " to get kids to adhere to their bedtime in the winter ! That is, if you can stay awake long enough to monitor it. As I am writing this, a horrible thought crosses my mind ' Am I just getting older, or is this the norm ? '

Winter is definitely the time to read novels or to watch more movies. Going with the flow of it, is most likely the best course and gets you through it ' intact '.

Venturing outside during these long Winter evenings, to enjoy nature, is not such a good idea. It tends to be blistering cold. Just shimmying ( I mean that literally ) over the icy yard, to your car, is an adventure in itself. One that you try not to do to often. Staying in ( bed ) tends to be a good way to hibernate ...Let me know your ' bag of tricks ' for the long Winter months.

Biggi

Amazon USA : Winter Blues: Seasonal Affective Disorder: What It Is and How to Overcome It

Amazon.de :Gesund und fit durch den Winter. 333 Tips für Gesundheit und Wohlbefinden

No comments:

Post a Comment