Friday 5 October 2012

A Distinctive Burgenland Trait...?

The House Martens'

Those of you who are about my age ( hint : Kylie Minogue,Kylie , had just started her singing career after her acting on Neighbours ) will remember the band. Sorry, that I gave Kylie as an example, because if you liked the HouseMartins (Best of ) , you definitely would not have listened to Kylie...

But no, I mean the real thing, a " marten ". It's an animal that slightly resembles a cat, but only if you look quickly. In fact, I have once went into our barn, and saw this lovely looking cat in the roof-rafters, staring down at me.
" Here kitty....here kitty " did not budge it, but when I moved closer it moved into a prominent position, showing me that it was no cat. A Marten !

Well, that had me running off, screaming for Bob to do something.
" What do you expect me to do ? I don't want to be jumped by a Marten ! " , was Bob's stoical, yet logical reply. I remember an incident at my Mum's shed. She called us to look at the cute kitten. Well before we saw it, it had bared it's true identity to my Mum ( and a full set of sharp teeth ), and had her running out...

To be honest, I don't think that the Marten would attack us, but you know, it's the thought that counts !
But what the Martens do like to attack and eat, are the delectable and possibly warm cables underneath any car. There are tales of them chewing through the cables, and cars consequently giving up the ghost.

When you drive along the villages of Burgenland, you will see a peculiar sight. In fact in the beginning I wondered if The Burgenlanders loved their bottled water, but were just too lazy to carry it into the house. Each night, when the car is parked in the driveway, a semi-empty plastic bottle of water is placed at each end of the car. Very distinctive indeed...

The theory is, is that the bottle is very shiny at night, and the Martens' are scared of it. Well, Bob and I have started to do this, and so far so good. We do hear the Marten mark his territory, by having screaming fights with our Tigger ( cat ). But so far, our car is safe...

Biggi

Notice the bottle at the rear of the our car...

No comments:

Post a Comment